Miles of Pennies
What is the Miles of Pennies (M.O.P.) Grant?
The Miles of Pennies Fund was established in 1988 on the 100th anniversary of The Church Periodical Club. The Miles of Pennies Fund Committee awarded its first grants in 1991. The maximum grant given by Miles of Pennies is $844.80 which represents one mile of pennies. The grants serve the needs of children from birth through high school wherever there is a need.
Who may apply for a Miles of Pennies (M.O.P.) Grant?
Any organization or church affiliated with The Episcopal Church may apply for grants around the world. For example: Christian Education Classes, Camps, Vacation Bible Schools, Libraries, After School Tutoring Programs, Happenings, Junior Daughters of the King®, Youth Ministry.
Tell us why a grant is needed.
A description of the on-going or new program or project for children and its relationship to the church and/or community, including an approximate number and the ages of the children involved, determines the need.
What can a grant be requested for?
- Written materials of any type, religious or secular, are eligible for grants. Examples are books, workbooks, manuals or electronic media for children, birth through high school.
- Shipping and Handling costs of recycled books are also eligible.
When can I apply?
Anytime – as grants are awarded year-round by the committee. Separate applications may be submitted for only 2 consecutive years.
Where do I get an application form?
Download the application in PDF format or from The Church Periodical Club at any level:
Parish Representative, Diocesan Director, Province Representative or National Office –
Church Periodical Club
320 S 3rd Ave. #903
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Phone: (605) 359-2880
Also, please download the Grant Guidelines.
How do I complete the application form?
On the official form:
- Type or print complete address,
- Give a brief concise statement on application form,
- Attach an additional sheet which fully describes the project requesting the grant, including background information such as: approximate number and ages of children involved, relationship to church and/or community. Name of person in charge.
- Amount should equal total on a signed, dated, material sheet which includes (for materials) TITLE / AUTHOR / PUBLISHER / COST / WHERE OBTAINABLE
- Give the name, address, and telephone number of person in charge of administrating the program, and who should receive the funds for the recipient.
- Be sure to check Yes or No and if yes, the amount.
ENDORSEMENT MUST be signed by a Church Periodical Club representative at either church, diocesan, provincial or national level.
Note – all applications must be submitted with an address in the United States of America.
SPANISH LANGUAGE FORMS are available from the national office.